Editing Diary- Part Two

After the rough cut was complete, I then began to focus on colour correction, audio and the title sequence.

Editing the Title Sequence:

I began with the title sequence, as this was to be done on After Effects and the text would be animated. For this, I went to websites such as Font-space to browse and download multiple fonts that I though were suited to the codes and conventions of a horror film. I then used these fonts on after effects to see which one would be best suited for the two purposes: The title featuring the film's name, and the other credits.
My final decision was Ipema Secco for the smaller credits and My Imaginary Friend for the main title, as I felt that the smaller credits shouldn't have a dramatic font, but should still add to the eerie atmosphere that I'm trying to portray to the audience, and then the main title will be most dramatic as it is the big reveal, which is also reflected in the sequence of clips, as it features the house, and the music.
This is also reflected in the animation of the titles, as the smaller credits just fade in and out, as well as slowly crawling across the screen with the movement of the clip. However the main title again is more dramatic as there it does not move across the screen but I used the 'evaporate' effect to make the letters fade out of the screen towards the audience.

Colour Correction:

Once all the pieces of text were added and were in time with my sound track, I then went on to colour correcting both the title sequence on after effects and the rough cut on premier pro. However, whilst colour correcting my rough cut, I gained some feedback that I should have a few establishing shots before my character walks in and is introduced to the audience. Thus, I then created three establishing shots, all featuring the forest, with two panning and one being a still shot with the contents being the main focus.
After this I focused on colour correction, which for the rough cut took me a while because I kept changing the colour slightly on one clip, making the shadows more blue. However every time I did this, I had to maintain continuity of the clips by making sure this exact effect was on all clips in the scene, and that other scenes did not have a major difference in colour, so that it all stuck to one theme.
After this, I found that the colour correction for the title sequence was easier, as I knew what colours I wanted to be more prominent and what settings I would have the brightness and contrast on.
Once this was done I was able to export the title sequence and put it on premier pro with the rest of my footage.

Audio and Sound Effects:

I then began to increase the volume on areas in which the dialogue was too quiet for the audience to hear, for example when Emma (Jamie) or I (Alice) are whispering to each other.
However, this caused another problem, as the background noise became more noticeable, so I added some background music called Atmosphere_eerie, which added a subtle sound whilst the two characters were talking, but also created an eerie effect.
For the establishing shots at the beginning and most of the shots in which Alice is walking around, looking for Jamie, I made sure that there was background noise of the forest to make it seem more realistic, as well as experimenting with the audio levels to make sure that they're consistent throughout this scene.
Furthermore, a typical convention of a horror is that there are dramatic sound effects, which was my next step when editing. I tested out the different sound effects for each jump-scare and scene in which tension was to be built, before syncing them with the required clips. For example, when Alice hears a noise behind her,  added the sound effect Wood_Crack to emphasise the noise that she hears. From that point, I added another eerie drone to cause suspense and tension when the audience watches it.
After this, I then edited the soundtrack used in my titles for a later point in the scene using the beginning part of the song to add to this suspense when the two characters have to leave their location to get away from this mysterious antagonist. Because it was used earlier in my title sequence, the audience will be able to recognise this and can begin to associate the song with the film.


Final Edits:

After all this was done I put the whole sequence together and made sure that there were no mistakes or gaps in audio or footage. After this final checks were completed, my opening sequence was finished and ready to be exported and viewed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Production Diaries

Camera Movement (1)

Different Types of shots (2)