Location Research


Hanworth Park House

The location I have chosen to film at is Hanworth Park House and the forest around it, known to some as the 'Teddy Bear Woods'. This is because within the forest there is a clearing, and surrounding it are trees with toys strapped to them. You can't see this from the clearing, although there is a dream-catcher that someone has made across two trees. Once you leave the clearing to walk through the trees, the toys become more noticeable and the further you go the more you see. I feel that this would be suitable for the genre of horror for my opening sequence, as a dark forest is one of the codes and conventions of horror in terms of setting, as well as an abandoned house, which in this case is the Hanworth Park House.
An Earth view of the house and the park surrounding it.
A map view showing the surrounding area, which I will be using to know how to get there.
Below I have found a video of someone viewing the forest and house from a drone, showing the area from a high-angle.



Start at 1:00 to view the shots from the drone.
At around 3:10 the front gates of the house are featured, which is also where I would like to film as well as closer to the house.


In order to film on the grounds of the house and inside you have to get permission from the owner, which I have done and I have arranged to meet them so that they can show me around as a few years ago some filming equipment was left there, and I may be allowed to use some for my opening sequence.
Possible Risks:
Because the house is old, there are trip hazards and loose flooring and weak areas within the house. To avoid tripping over or causing damage to the house, I will make sure I know which parts of the house are safest and will make sure I  watch what I am doing and where I am going.
Furthermore, because the forest around the house is quite big it is easy to get lost or leave any belongings behind. To avoid this I will plan my route beforehand and will travel with a family member who knows the area well so I won't get lost,as well as checking I have got everything before leaving.


When a family member visited the area they managed to get photos and videos of the area for me so I will know exactly where I want to film. For example, I want to go to the clearing to film near a dream catcher that someone has made. When I visit the location myself to meet the owner I will have a look around the area myself to know where everything is, hoping to fit it in to my narrative.








Above is a short video I made, which gives you a tour around my location and where I will be filming.

The History of Hanworth Park

Nearby to Hanworth Park House Tudor Court, which were Henry VIII's hunting grounds and a small house in which the equipment would be kept.
In 1797 the house was destroyed in a fire then later restored in 1802.
In the First World War, the house was used as a resting home for injured soldiers, which was also continued throughout WW2. There have also been many events at this location, as planes that the soldiers would fly would land near the house as people gather around for an event. Nearby during this time was a field in which blimps would land, which is now a school.
Today, the house is abandoned apart from a small shack by the gates which is home to the security guard, as well as a kennel for a dog which helps to prevent people from trespassing onto the grounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-Production Diaries

Camera Movement (1)

Different Types of shots (2)